Memorial Day 2024

 

The Definition of Fidelity

It is Memorial Day, that solemn day each year that was established to recognize all those who died in service to their country; those honored few who gave their last full measure. Perhaps this year, at least for this day, we can put aside our political discord and anger and not allow those differences to interfere with a common recognition of that original reason for, and meaning of, this day. It is also important to keep in mind that their sacrifice came without political or partisan views; they were neither red nor blue. Among them were Republicans and Democrats, rich and the poor and members of many races and creeds - all of them Americans. They died solely for the cause of their country and for all of us.

So make your annual trip to the cemetery with flags waving then home for a picnic. Enjoy the company of friends and relatives - but at the same time remember those who died to make possible your freedom to do so.

Also, I’m sure that wishing people a happy or nice Memorial Day is well intentioned but it is important to acknowledge the depth of meaning behind this day and to honor it accordingly. Perhaps a simple “have a thoughtful Memorial Day” would suffice.

  "War is young men (and now women) dying and old men talking."  Franklin Roosevelt

In closing, I have posted the following on several past Memorial Days because I have never been able to find a better expression of my thoughts about this important day. To those of you who have read it before and grow weary, I apologize. To others, perhaps it will strike a chord.        

Thoughts on "Taps."

I can’t listen to taps without tearing up. Sometimes I’m not sure why this is so. Is it because of the magnificent mournful horn that so perfectly matches the feeling of saying farewell to a warrior? Or am I crying for all the loved ones left behind — the millions and millions over many years? Perhaps I’m crying for something else, maybe I’m crying for myself.

Ultimately, I think I’m crying because taps reminds me that the world never seems to change for the better. No matter how many heroes pay the ultimate price, war always demands more. Worse, it always our young whom it craves. Worst of all, we proudly offer them up.

Maybe I’m sad that someone somewhere will always be able to make complete strangers kill each other for the same reasons over and over, like an eternal World War I trench battle that rages over the same, small piece of ground in perpetuity. Each generation, like some militant Sisyphus, pushes the rock of war up the hill only to have it roll back on the next. No matter how just, proud or righteous that rock appears, it remains a monument to a belligerent humanity’s worst instincts.

I spent 28 years in the military and my son has also served honorably. Someday taps will sound for each of us. And for that I am proud. But knowing that melancholy song will need to be played for endless future generations will always make me cry.

Not for sadness but for anger.  

Although that time when wars will no longer plague us is apparently still far in the future, perhaps commemorating Memorial Day can provide us with some hope that it will eventually come to pass.

To my fellow vets I say thanks for your service, it has been an honor to serve with you.

To everyone else, I hope you do have a thoughtful Memorial Day.


Memorial Day Music


War   Edwin Starr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One, the Only . . .

Time to Say Goodbye

The Last Leaf