The Last Leaf

 


My oldest daughter recently sent me something that, at first blush, is perfect for a leaf watching meditation and it certainly is that. Of course, as you will see, this verse can mean different things to different people and for many different reasons.

As for me, as a lot of people have noted, I've had a pretty negative outlook for quite some time (although sadly as one looks around my country, I may have good reason.) So this lovely piece was very timely because it forced me to have an attitude check that I definitely needed. It may not negate the things have made me feel so sour but it reminded me that it's easy to let the minutiae of modern life take on a role well beyond their actual importance.  It said, "Come on, pal, it's time to step back and get a grip, focus on things like family, friends and how you are living your life instead of crap you can't control." Alrighty then!

Obviously and most importantly this contemplation also speaks to the biggest issue for us all and that is dealing with mortality. (Which, of course, looms a bit larger for those of us who are, shall we say, of a "certain age.")

Since the first homosapien watched his or her partner keel over and stop breathing -"Say, what happen to Ugh, he no wake up" - we've asked, is that all there is? From there it was an easy step to start figuring (hoping?) that it couldn't be all there was.  Let's face it, this life can be kind of crappy (and was REALLY crappy for a caveman - even worse for cavewomen!) so that they had to think that we should get some kind of reward for putting up with it, right? That, in fact, we must kind of move on to some new and hopefully better place. Thus, as Homer said some 2800 years ago, "All men have need of the gods." And humans were off to the races to figure out where and what "that place" was with countless gods, religions and destinations. And that's okay. To paraphrase the song, whatever gets you through the long, dark nights is alright.

So her sharing this piece now, serendipitously, was a timely reminder to another poor, sad human in the - ahem - autumn of his life that this one really isn't all there is.

I Asked the Leaf

I asked the leaf whether it was frightened because it was autumn and the other leaves were falling. The leaf told me, "No. During the whole spring and summer I was completely alive. I worked hard to help nourish the tree, and now much of me is in the tree. I am not limited by this form. I am also the whole tree and when I go back to the soil, I will continue to nourish the tree. So I don't worry at all. As I leave this branch and float to the ground, I will wave to the tree and tell her, "I will see you again very soon."

That day there was a wind blowing and, after a while, I saw the leaf leave the branch and float down to the soil, dancing joyfully, because as it floated, it saw itself already there in the tree. It was so happy. 

I bowed my head, knowing that I have a lot to learn from that leaf.

Author: Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese Monk

Thank you, Thich Nhat Hanh - and thank you, kiddo. Here's hoping the best of me (what there may be of it) is in our tree too.

            Epilogue: 10/22  - To add to my usual sunny dispostion, I got word from my spinal surgeon today that I am healed - and with very little laying on of hands this time. The return of golf . . .  just in time for cold weather  - but at least I can have long, hot baths again so I got that going for me.          

Oh, and he announced that he is retiring (apparently I'm not totally responsible.)

In any event, I repeat - I am a VERY lucky man!


And now for your musical accompaniment take your pick - you can't go wrong with any of them.

 

Is That All There Is? Bette Midler

 

Whatever Gets You Thru the Night  John Lennon


The Last Leaf   The Cascades (a particular favorite of mine from 1963 when I was in the spring of my life!)

Comments

  1. Nice perspective about the fragility and brevity of life, and yet its long term potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Interesting that it took a Vietnamese monk to remind me of things I think I knew. Stay healthy out there on the prairie.

      Delete
  2. As we have discussed in over 40 years of friendship, growing old is a contact sport. I mention the word, friendship, because I think that relationships with others of all ages makes that drift, swirling towards whatever, a much smoother ride. So seek out those that make you happy, smile and laugh and conversely make them happy, smile and laugh. The ride will be so much better. Now go hit'm straight and have a blast during your ride of Life! PS Vodka helps! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sage advice, Curtie. We are furtunate that we have the friendship item checked on checklist of life. Here's to a smooth ride!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The One, the Only . . .

Memorial Day 2023

Giving the Equinox its Due