Memorial Day 2023

 Remembering the Unsung Heroes

Long Sad Line of the Fallen

Another Memorial Day has arrived and with it our annual visit to a cemetery. It is a small but important rite as we honor those who died while in service to their country. As a retired veteran myself – and pleased to still be on this side of the grass - I naturally have a certain affinity for honoring all my fellow vets who have, as the old song said of a soldier’s passing, 'just faded away' before me.

While this day is dedicated to vets who sacrificed their lives in combat, and properly so, of the millions of military personnel who have served over the years this is a relatively small (thankfully) but sacred cohort. Something that most civilians aren't aware of though is the large number of vet’s who never make it to combat before dying. I’m not talking about the tragic losses due to suicide, murder or car accidents that all societies endure. I am referring to those who died in training for war.

Familiar to most of my pilot friends, the reliable T37 trainer



The noble T-29, Navigator training workhorse circa 1970








When most people think of training they probably think of sports or technical college or on the job training. While there certainly is some risk to some types of training, how often do they cost lives? In WWII fully 1/3 of all the deaths for just my military branch, the air force (then the Army Air Corp) occurred during training. Over 52,000 airmen died in combat WWII which is staggering enough but in addition, nearly 26,000 in total died in training. Very dangerous training indeed.

WWII B-24 bomber nicknamed "flying coffin." More trainees killed in this one aircraft then in any other - mostly in the US

At the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, 2006, about a third of all military deaths (which were primarily ground forces) were caused by training accidents. Even in the mostly post-war year 2021 this rate held true. Of the 1000+ military deaths that year over 300 were due to accidents.

Of course, training is much safer today but it still takes the lives of a significant number of our troops in all branches of service. Between 2013 and 2020, 224 aircrew members died during training, (all branches) and186 aircraft were destroyed at a cost of $11.6 Billion. Not counted here are the numerous deaths by non-aviation naval and ground forces killed in training every year. For example, just in the last few months, in addition to the 3 army helicopter training accidents which killed 14 soldiers, two army troops were killed and four marines were severely injured in separate training accidents 

There this is also this ironic fact: when not in actual combat, troops spend much of the rest of their time in training for combat; never-ending training, never-ending risk. We can expect many more accidents in the coming years. In order to save the lives of military members, training must be realistic - and sometimes dangerous.

Army Blackhawk helicopter

Separate, but related, it is easy to forget that at one time a large percentage of adults, especially male, served in the military. As recently as 1970 (slightly before the draft ended) about 14% of the US population were veterans. Today it is half as much, about 7%. This reduced participation in the military is also reflected in our government representatives - who are responsible for sending our troops into harm’s way. Logically, and unfortunately, there is much less familiarity with the military and military life.

I write not to impugn military training – I was a beneficiary of it in three different conflicts. Nor to criticize the civilian population or our government representatives; they just reflect America as it is today. I simply offer this as a reminder that there is much more to the sacrifice of military service than we see on television – or on Memorial Day. Even in times of “peace,” a rare occurrence for our country, going into the military - no matter when, which branch of service or type of duty - is not the same as a civilian job. Not in pay, not in lifestyle and not in risk. Hopefully you will consider that during your Memorial Day celebrations.

     "The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."

         Erwin Rommel, Famous German General

It would be a wonderful thing if we didn't have wars, if we didn't need people trained for war and we didn't need to worry about losing our children to war. (That's apparently what we have schools for now.)

  "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who                 has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."

     Dwight D. Eisenhower, General of the Army and last good RINO President                                 (and almost every combat vet who lived to tell their story)


In closing, thoughts on "Taps." I have posted this on several past Memorial Days because I have never  been able to find a better expression of my feelings for this important day. To those of you who have read it before and grow weary, I apologize. To others, perhaps it will strike a chord.

        

   " War is young men dying and old men talking."

         Franklin Roosevelt


I can’t listen to taps and not tear up. Sometimes I’m not sure why I’m crying. Is it because of the magnificent mournful sound that so perfectly matches the feeling of saying farewell to a warrior? Or am I crying for all the loved ones left behind — the millions over many years? Sometimes I think I’m crying for something else; maybe I’m crying for myself.

Ultimately, I think I’m crying because taps reminds me that the world never seems to change for the better. No matter how many heroes pay the ultimate price, war always demands more. And it is always our young whom it craves.

Maybe I’m sad that someone somewhere will always be able to make complete strangers kill each other for the same reasons over and over, like an eternal World War I trench battle that rages over the same, small piece of ground in perpetuity. Each generation, like some militant Sisyphus, pushes the rock of war up the hill only to have it roll back on the next. No matter how just, proud, or righteous that rock appears, it remains a monument to belligerent humanity’s worst instincts.

I spent 28 years in the military, and my son has also served honorably. Someday taps will sound for each of us. And for that I am proud.

But knowing that melancholy song will need to be played for endless future generations will always make me cry. And for that I am not ashamed.


Although that time when there will no longer be wars is apparently still far in the future, perhaps celebrating Memorial Day can provide us with some hope that it will come to pass. 

I wish you a thoughtful and hopeful day.

Some appropriate music . . .

Arlington   Trace Atkins

If You're Reading This   Tim McGraw

Unknown Soldier   The Doors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One, the Only . . .

Giving the Equinox its Due