It's Father's Day! (Who Cares?!)

 

I’m here to help celebrate one of the greatest days of the year, a day that many dads wait for all year long. It’s a day of excitement, recognition and reward. I’m talking, of course, about the US Open Golf Championship!

Wait, what did you think I was talking about? Oh, Father’s Day? Well, yes that’s nice too. In fact, there must be a reason that they positioned it on the same day as Open's final round. After all, Fathers Day is the 2nd most important holiday after Mother’s Day. Ooops, okay maybe third after Christmas. No wait, the fourth after July 4th? Hold it, where is National Hot Dog Day ranked? Well, we dad’s are right behind that so it’s still a pretty important day, damn it!

I am relieved this year because Father’s Day does NOT coincide with the worst day of the year as it so frequently does - the dreaded Summer Solstice. Seriously, how would you like to have YOUR special day be associated with the day that signals the beginning of our descent into the madness that is Minnesota in winter? (June 21st this year) Didn’t think so. Now, I’m not a conspiracy nut (although I’m sure there’s something to this fake moon landing thing) but US Open or not, is it just a coincidence that they chose to plop Father’s Day down here on the calendar? A lesser man might be offended.

Usually just a few weeks after the Summer Solstice - and Father's Day 

On a historical note, Father’s Day was unofficially celebrated for the first time in Washington state in 1910 by a loving daughter who wanted to recognize her dad, a Civil War vet and a widower raising six kids. (And yes, I'm imagining my kids in their situation. Oh boy.) Mother's Day was officially made a holiday in 1914 then,  just 58 years later, Pres. Nixon made Fathers Day an official Hallmark card holiday too. (Ironically, that turns out to be one of his most popular acts that year, even more so than the Watergate breakin.) 58 years. Hmm, Okaaay. 

You know, it wasn't until I did the deep research on this post (Googled it) that I realized that since there was no actual Father's Day until 1972 - long after all the Pederson kids had fallen out of the nest - that it's probably why it wasn't as big a deal for us. I'd like to think we celebrated it for dad anyway but that would be a stretch given what knotheads we boys are. (On the other hand, my lone, goody two shoes sister - who was always "daddy's" pet - probably did.) This is a long winded way to explain my odd and somewhat ambivalent attitude toward FD.

In any event, I understand and accept my place in the family pecking order as a dad and this year I vow to enjoy my brief moment in the sun. For example, I look forward to opening the humorous cards from the kids making fun of my bird legs and bald spot. Sadly, like most adult children, mine are now scattered about or not available so the obligatory brunch will be a pretty modest affair i.e. Mrs Dear Leader and moi. Of course, that makes the decision of where to go that much easier; no worries about managing gluten-free, lactose-free, vegetarian, vegan, keto, organic or other unique dietary considerations. Mrs DL is in charge and understands (although does not necessarily approve of) my very plebian tastes - eggs Bennie and hashbrowns, baby! Of course the day ends perfectly as I settle in to watch the final round of the US Open in peace. (Which, admittedly, I would be doing anyway.) In fact, I will have total control of the tv remote – the ultimate dream of most men. Hey, maybe I’ll finally see one of the players turn to the camera, wave and say “Hi dad!" instead of, well, you know. . .

Despite my (vaguely) humorous tone, mothers deserve all the attention they get – which is almost never enough at that. They are the super glue holding the whole family together whereas dad’s role is more like that of duct tape; good to have around to take care of odd familial chores. Moms know what’s going on in everyone’s life; dads often don’t have a clue but are always usually willing to learn. Moms make sure the kids don’t eat with their hands or wear hats at the table; dads teach them how to drive and change flat tires. 

Some moms (and dads) do all these things and more - alone.

Of course I'm an excellent driver - my dad taught me!

Sadly, you don’t realize how much you learn from your dad until you become one – and especially after yours is gone. 30 years ago this Sept my pop decided to leave this mortal coil. I say “decided” because the stubborn old Norwegian refused to follow some pretty simple instructions from the doctor that would have extended his life after his heart attack. You know, quit smoking, start walking - stop eating bacon grease and Karo syrup sandwiches?  – and just take better care of himself. But noooooo! So at 79 we laid his earthly remains to rest. 79. Geez, that’s only four years older than I am now.

Nonetheless, to this day I envy his laissez-faire attitude in all things kid-related - and did it without turning us all into self-centered A-holes. (Well, most of us.) I marvel at how he could relate to his five kids with an easy but totally different style for each of us, including a unique nickname (mine was Babe) while not aspiring to be our best friend. I am still in awe that a guy so slight in physical stature never needed shouting or physical discipline to straighten us out. He just needed to mention how ashamed mom would be of us. Which also tells you how much respect we had for her (due in no small part to him.) Finally, I'm still amazed at how a man with an 8th grade education and little material wealth remains the smartest, richest person in every sense that matters that I have ever known. 

I just wish I had told him before he left us.


Marvelous Marv pondering where he went wrong raising young Dear Leader

I often (sorta) kid that the slogan for Father’s Day should be “Who cares?!” Well, prove me wrong and if your dad is still among us let him know that you do right now! (Or, you know, right after the US Open is over.) 

And if you're the dad then enjoy the day, pal, because it's back to anonymity tomorrow!

Father's Day music from two perspectives . . .






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One, the Only . . .

Giving the Equinox its Due

The Seinfeld Post